Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Woe and Joy

"Woe and Joy"
Oil on Canvas 40" x 30"

Woe and joy indeed! I am so happy this painting is finally finished. In a couple weeks when it is dry enough, I will varnish it so that the deeper shadows in the hair and flesh tones really blend well with the background.

The name for the painting came from the title of a blog post by the above model when she announced her baby had been born. Originally, I had a more dramatic title and theme for this painting, (face paint was involved, I'll just say that) but after the image and message became more subtle I started trying to think of a new title. As soon as I read the posted announcement on her blog, I knew I had my name! Of course, she is a writer, so what better source for such things?

I finished this painting off today during a seven hour session in my studio. It was awesome. I am not sure I have had a day that long at the studio yet! Not only did I complete this one, but I got started on my next big project and tidied up a bit, too. Good times.

2 comments:

Ashley F. said...

It is finished! The title is excellent...Bethany is succinct with her word choice.
I'm hoping for a little trip involving both of us and the wee ones in the near future so we can check it out in person. Good job on the massive studio time--I admire your dedication and feel inspired.

Anonymous said...

It is a very interesting painting and I love it!