Sunday, May 18, 2008

Foundry Art Centre

I just returned earlier today from my trip to St. Charles/St. Louis, MO. We stayed in St. Charles, close to the Foundry Art Centre, where two of my paintings are in a group figurative show. I never know what to expect when I haven't seen a venue in person, but I was really pleasantly surprised in this case! I'd say this place is museum quality... the galleries really look the part and are large, open, and contemporary. The work in the show was simply fabulous, and again the quality was top notch. Perhaps, when I get time, I can look up a few of the other artists included on the web and see if I can find some links to share.

This picture shows the middle section of the building, which is meant to hold people for receptions, etc. There is a stage to one end, behind where I stood to take this photo. Originally, tanks were built here, and they would be loaded onto rail cars in this very area. At least, that's how I heard it. Today, there are galleries on either side of this room, and on the top floor are artist studios. All the walls facing the balcony are glass, so you can look through and see artists working, or if they aren't there, you can peek in and see their work. Really a great idea and a fabulous way to use an old building, if you ask me.

This is one of the galleries, where my pieces are. To give you and idea of scale and location, that guy towards the back on the right is probably looking at Facade. Finally, there I am (below) with my paintings. The next day, we went to the zoo and to the arch. I had a really great time, especially wandering around the zoo. I have some pictures from those little field trips I could share, too. Anyone want to see some zebras and giraffes?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, congrats! That definitely is a very nice facility. I kinda regret not checking it out when I was in the area. Glad to hear you made it to the zoo! Did you see the penguins?? :)