Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Staged - Updates

While I have made some progress, there is still a lot more to do on this one. Everything needs at least one more coat. At this point, I've still been focusing on the flesh. The rest goes faster than skin tones do; they need to be built up in layers.

You can see that here on the leg, the marks I originally had down for the fringe on the shawl are still visible. This will help me place them as I do the next layer. I anticipate doing another layer of both flesh and fringe here, and finally another layer to clarify fringe on top of that.

I worked a lot on the face, and while it's pretty much right on, I may need to add a bit more color to the face. However, if you've ever met the model, you know how porcelain pale she is.

Again, I've worked on the hands, and though I am fairly satisfied, the paint is just not thick enough in the light areas. Also, I really like to work adjacent areas at the same time to avoid the cut-out look that most of this area currently has, and I wasn't able to do that in this layer this time. The black paint takes so very long to dry that I like to work with it primarily in the first and last stages, so that I can get as much as possible done in the intermediate sessions without having to wait for it to dry. It's very important to pay attention to the edges so that they both describe spatial relationships and lead the eye through the painting.

1 comment:

dugbuddy said...

this is really coming along well. Good drawing as always. That angle of the head and hands are a real challenge perspectively. Looks like you have it well solved. amazed as always. What you do with oil, pigment and brushes. whoo!