Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Inspirations from the Met Part 4: Sculptures

I especially loved the sculptures at the Met, and really wish I had time to sit and draw many of them. Unfortunately I only had time to draw the first one here. I think I enjoy the sculptures because since they are in-the-round and not supported/confined (depending on your opinion) by a frame or background they depend almost exclusively upon expression of pose. It makes me wonder whether I should have been a sculptor since I seem to not have much interest in 'backgrounds' or 'props' in my paintings. I have yet to decide if this is just something about my work and myself that I can accept, or a flaw to be fixed. For now, I am working on considering the entire space on the canvas and creating a complete scene around the figure, and I can decide later (or never) which path is right.







No comments: