Friday, January 25, 2008

Lady with an Apple, Completed

"Mala"
Oil on Panel, 12" x 9"


I actually started this post yesterday, and finished the painting the day before, just after my last post. The delay in posting was because I was settling on an appropriate title. At first, I couldn't think of much other than "The Apple" or "Lady with an Apple." Everything else I thought of that might have to do with Eve, the Apple of Discord, or temptation just didn't seem to fit. I was typing that I wished I could think of a better title, when I got an idea and started to do a little looking through my good old Harper Collins Latin Concise dictionary. I found some very interesting coincidences, and thus a title with layers of meaning that just happen to perfectly suit the subject. A gold star for anyone who figures it out!


Anyway, I am very pleased with this little painting. I had fun with the different textures in the fabric and apple. If anyone is wondering or can't quite tell from the picture, I used ochre for the background and saved the metallics for another day.

No comments: