Thursday, May 11, 2006

Beginning a Portrait

Last night I started a new painting; it is a portrait of my son, Shannon, age 8. He is delighted that I am finally painting him again. Photographing children can be a challenge, and with Shannon it is because he is overly excited to produce unique and goofy facial expressions for the camera. I did manage to catch him in this thoughtful and almost angelic pose, shortly before another outburst of silliness.

Oil on Canvas, 14"x18"

The above painting was done in one evening with Gamblin's Asphaltum and some Titanium White, thinned with a little OMS. I do not always underpaint, though I have been more and more as of late, nor do I bring it up to the same finish before adding color as many artists do. I simply use it as an underdrawing, composition and value guide, and as a way to satisfy my impatient self and get the canvas covered!

No comments: